Shawarma is a famous middle eastern dish made of garlicky grilled meat or poultry served on warm pita bread. This chicken shawarma recipe is going to knock your socks off plus your kitchen is going to smell like barbecue haven ! You only need a handful of everyday spices you use at home. The recipe is easy to follow and tastes absolutely delicious. In this version , the marinated chicken is flavoured with a delicious garlic yoghurt sauce which to me is the star of the dish.
The toppings for the pita bread is up to your preference. In this recipe I have used tomatoes , caramelized onions , lettuce and my favorite – jalapeños. You can also add French fries , pickles and cucumbers , whatever you may want ! I used store bought pita bread as I was short on time but you can also make them at home. I will add a recipe for it soon on the blog.
I hope you like the recipe and there’s a similar signature recipe of mine on the blog –Chargrilled Chicken Pizza . You might like it too.
RECIPE: CHICKEN SHAWARMA WITH GARLIC YOGHURT SAUCE
Makes 10 shawarmas
You will need:
For the chicken marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste ( home made or store bought)
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 500 g chicken breast
For the garlic yoghurt sauce:
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons garlic paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the pita toppings:
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- Shredded lettuce
- Pita bread – 10
- Marinate the chicken and allow it to rest for atleast 30 minutes. Grill it nicely and slice into thin strips once it is at room temperature. If you slice it when it is hot , the chicken will loose its juicy-ness and will become dry.
- Prepare the toppings required for the shawarma.
- Prepare the yoghurt sauce and mix the yoghurt and garlic paste well.
- To assemble the shawarma ,
- Add a layer of the yoghurt sauce on the pita bread.
- Add the chicken and toppings according to your preference.
- Drizzle over the stuffing with some more yoghurt sauce and wrap the pita bread tightly.
- You can toast it or leave it as such.
- Serve hot !
I’ve made a simple video explaining the steps.
Watch it below!
https://videos.files.wordpress.com/651pDaE7/1080p.mov Simple as that ! I hope your family loves it as much as mine did. If you tried the recipe or going to try it , leave a comment below also if you have any suggestions or queries , let me know in the comments. Until next time , BYE.